Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FFA Ranbat 8/13/2011 (L-L)

Another event I hadn't planned on attending (or even knew about) - I got a call about it and Hugo101 wanted to attend and needed a ride there so I decided to enter. Nothing special to write about except that the pool was small this time compared to the usual FFA events but I think this was due to the Insert Coin(s) tournament in Vegas. Or it could have just been a good summer weekend and nobody really cared to play. 


I lost my first match the ever random play style of El Fuerte. The following is sort of an excuse- I still don't know the matchup. I have no idea what counters what and I'm convinced there's no way to avoid Tortilla grab or his general knockdown mixups as Hawk (Yes I'm still using Hawk-why? AE Ver. 2012). EX SRK does not get you out of well timed crossups or grabs by Fuerte so escape comes down to not getting caught in the first place which is basically impossible. With tournament pressure and my opponent being all over the screen I had to play his game and jump/dive/attack frantically to keep up. It was one of the messiest matches I've had, almost like watching someone who had only picked up the game days before. Although I managed a round or two, I was out muscled by Fuerte's strength (ha ha..). As far as matchup experience I recently played about 10 matches vs SeeDogPoo, a player from the East and he beat me 9-1. A good Fuerte has an advantage over Hawk just by speed and randomness. 


My second match was against a Guile player who I had fought a few times before and had won every set. His play style changed in our tournament match and resulted in a comeback victory. I got caught off guard several times one of which I took 4 of Guile's ST. FPs in a row - now that was embarrassing and lead me into a mini-depression in the middle of the match. He played very defensively (as most Guile players do) and whenever I got him to one corner of the screen he managed to escape, and in that matchup letting Guile switch sides turns the balance in his favor by tenfold. 


While the tournament continued on after my ejection I played casuals on the other stations and played very well winning most of my matches. I don't know if my brain "turned on" after the tournament or what, but I should be trying to eliminate part of that possibility by warming up before the tournament as much as I can. I should be showing up earlier and playing for an hour to get my brain thinking in "6 buttons and a joystick" mode.


Hugo101 ended up with first place, so good work there. He also pointed out that I need to start putting effort into memorizing matchups and their details. The problem is that I'm aware of that but nothing is saving in my memory. Reset...



No comments:

Post a Comment